Sunday, September 25, 2011

Harvest Of Righteousness

Sow with a view to righteousness, Reap in accordance with kindness; Break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the LORD until He comes to rain righteousness on you. (Hosea 10:12)

Country folks often talk about their gardens. Mystery was the name of the fruit that grew in some of my gardens. I wasn’t paying a lot of attention when I planted. Forgetting where I planted the beans and in what row the okra was planted, I had to wait to see what the plant looked like when it sprouted before I would remember. Many times I reminded myself that next year I would be more purposeful in my planting. At least I would know what to expect!

PLANTING WITH A PURPOSE CAN YIELD EXPECTED RESULTS.
Have you ever wondered why you were not growing in godliness as fast as you thought you should be? Perhaps the trial that you faced last week has repeated itself with added intensity. And the temptation you encountered is back with a vengeance. Why do we often seem so defeated in our spiritual growth? Could it be that we are not purposely trying to grow spiritually? That we are not cultivating the righteousness of God?
The Old Testament prophet announced that there is hope after seasons of famine and infertility and unfaithfulness. He likens the spiritual growth of God’s people to a work of God and actions of man. Some thoughts worth noting and taking to heart.

I. PLANT EXPECTING A HARVEST. Righteousness grows only when it is sown. When it is seen, we should know that it was planted there. Goodness is not an accident of human behavior.
II. HARVEST EXPECTING WHAT’S PLANTED. We must know what is planted to know where it will grow. Intentional planting can yield fruitful results beyond our expectations.
III. FALLOW GROUND BECOMES FERTILE AFTER PLOWING. Fallow ground is idle ground. Idle ground is unplanted ground. We must plow before we plant. Praying about the growth is like plowing fallow ground.
IV. WAITING ON THE RAIN TO FALL COMPLETES THE HARVEST. Unless the rain falls, no amount of plowing and planting will produce the harvest.
V. WE MUST SEEK THE RAINMAKER. When God rains righteousness, that marks the beginning of a spiritual growth cycle. We should expect great growth when we cultivate our lives with a great God. Proverbs 11:18 says, “The wicked earns deceptive wages, but he who sows righteousness gets a true reward.” We really do reap what we sow. Now how does your garden grow? Is it worth talking about?

1 comment:

Riley said...

I liked you blog. Thank you for writing them. These blogs teach me about God, and how to live righteously with him.