Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Remorse, Repentance, and Restoration

But at the evening offering I arose from my humiliation, even with my garment and my robe torn, and I fell on my knees and stretched out my hands to the Lord my God; and I said, "O my God, I am ashamed and embarrassed to lift up my face to You, my God, for our iniquities have risen above our heads and our guilt has grown even to the heavens. (Ezra 9:5-6)

Repentance always comes before restoration. Repentance is the place where the Lord leads His people because His desire is to restore our ruination. How can we repent if we do not know where we are? Repentance is the place where the kindness of God leads a man. Ezra is overwhelmed with the grace of God, allowing them to return to rebuild Jerusalem and a godly culture. But the Ezra's realization was how can the Lord lead them into restoration while the people are in such a sinful condition? The prohibition of marrying outside of the faith had been ignored for generations. This was not a racial admonition, but a spiritual one. For how does a family worship the Living God when the family devotes themselves to the worship of idols? This kind of spiritually mixed marriage is fractured in their godly pursuits and the cause of many heartaches even in our day. Ezra knew their fallen condition. So did the Lord. But how about the people? Ezra’s struggle with the restoration is how would the people respond to the truth? How the Lord’s people deals with their sin is crucial to their restoration both in Ezra’s day and ours. Knowing the wrong, we must turn to the right. The grace of God is truly our guide. God reveals sin so we can repent. We can repent or change our life direction when we truly experience the kindness of God that leads us to godly sorrow. Restoration is only possible when repentance is practiced. When we become aware of the sin…and it grieves us because we sin against this Most Kind and Most High God, we are truly made aware of our constant failing and His consistent faithfulness. For God’s people of any age to move into real and meaningful restoration, repentance must be authentic. Repentance must be practiced. Repentance truly is a vital change of direction and our great hope for restoration.


No comments: