Monday, October 15, 2012

The Lonesome Preacher

At my first defense no one supported me, but all deserted me; may it not be counted against them. But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was rescued out of the lion's mouth. (2 Timothy 4:16-17

Often my impression with super spiritual people, you know, the ones that God uses, is an image that is larger than life. Giants in stature around many of their entourage. I think of these super saints as being accompanied with many companions, shielded from harm, and always encouraged in the journey. But that is how the world builds up its heroes. Super Men…with the emphasis on the man. Real men, made in God’s image, and restored to His likeness, will often be perceived as small in the eyes of the world. They will often seem insignificant…vulnerable…lonesome. So it is with the Apostle Paul. I am slow to remember his trials because he speaks so much of the victories that he had in Christ. And that is the key for understanding our purpose in God. We are not to be put on display, followed around by holy groupies and religious roadies. This is not the design of God. God’s best servants are the bruised ones and battered ones and the best ones are often the lonesome ones. You can be lonesome when there are others about you. You can be lonesome when you speak the truth that you know can bring suffering to you. You may be lonesome when all have abandoned you. But with the Lord, you will never be lonely. Lonely is the knowledge that everything depends on me and I’m the only one here. God uses lonesome people. But they are never lonely, because they are never alone. The Presence of the Lord is where His Power resides. And if He is always with me, never to forsake me, I am empowered to speak His message…no matter who’s there or who’s not. Paul’s purpose was to live out God’s purpose…to preach to the Gentiles. Not to be some appetizer for the enemy’s main course. The one who prowls about as a roaring lion, our adversary, cannot devour what the Lion of Judah has raised up for a mouthpiece. Who is trying to keep you from the purpose of proclamation placed upon you? Our main proclamation is to live long enough for the pagans to see that we really do believe Jesus is Lord! And God is in charge of that. Whether in word or deed I can surely die while proclaiming that…but I can never truly live if I don’t.

1 comment:

Riley said...

Good job. No matter what, we will encounter trials, and whether we go through them with God at our side,is our choice.