Monday, October 31, 2011

Good Works Glorify

Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

“Look at me, Papa! Look at me!” My granddaughters used to call out for me to notice them, no matter what they were doing. And I never got tired of looking. It encouraged them to be seen doing their best. But I am always careful to try to teach them that what they do is not the basis for my love. I love them because of who they are. And I love them because of who I am...their papa. Sadly, some people grow up and think that doing many good things makes God love them more. God loves His people because He is a loving God.

GOOD WORKS THAT GLORIFY ALWAYS POINT TO GOD.

We can do many good things and never know God. Some of the most miserable people go to church on a regular basis. It’s one of the ways that they show God how good they can be. Inside and outside the church environment they rarely seem joyful. The problem is that only God can be good. And if we do something truly good, it must guide others to God.
Knowing that there is none good but God is a liberating thing. When someone complements me, I can point to God. There is nothing good in me or you except the good grace of God! Jesus lived around a lot of religious people pointing to themselves and being quite miserable. His words to His disciples were given to guide disciples of every generation. He said we were to be light. Vessels of light.

I. IT’S EASIER TO WORK IN THE LIGHT. We are to shine our light so others may see our good works. Like a painting or a sculpture, it is not displayed in darkness. In a museum or a gallery, it is enhanced by light to allow others to consider the work of the artist. In a similar way, our “good” work can only originate from God, who is good, and God, who is light. It is displayed in the gallery of real life. We can only be light as we are vessels of Jesus, who is the Light. As others see our good work, let us point to the artist, the Creator.
II. GOD IS GLORIFIED BY GOOD WORK. We do not deserve a pat on the back or a round of applause. The glory of good works belongs to God and God alone. God will share His passion, His heart, His resources, His joy, but He will not share His glory. There is only one God to be glorified. God allows us to do good work on His behalf so others can recognize the goodness and glory of God.

DO NOT STAND BETWEEN GOD AND HIS GLORY. WE CAN EASILY BLOCK THE LIGHT.

No comments: