Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Right Call

Call to Me, and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know. (Jeremiah 33:3)

Have you ever called the wrong person for counsel? Possibly someone you thought you could trust? Someone older or wiser or more experienced can even give us the wrong answers at the right time. The right time is when we are most vulnerable. You might regret making the wrong call about some issues of life today. And you might be paying a very heavy price for some very bad advice.
In the midst of the wreckage that unwise decisions can bring, wisdom is available. God can bring a new perspective on an old perplexing problem. Even if you have been scammed by someone you trusted, God can bring hope to a bad situation. Even while Jeremiah was in prison, perhaps beginning to question the wisdom of trusting in God, the word of the Lord came to him.

I. WHEN WE CALL TO GOD, WE MAKE THE RIGHT CALL. Decisions are based on information or intuition. When we have the best information, we can make good decisions. We can get our information from credible sources but they may not be infallible. We can trust information from our friends, who may or may not be reliable. Experience is often the basis for decision making. Sometimes we base our decisions on feelings, urges, or our best thinking. But when we call on God, there is no better source. He has never been wrong. He is always right. Calling on Him is the right call.
II. WHEN WE CALL TO GOD, HE WILL ANSWER. He promises to answer. Often we don’t wait long enough to see it. He may be waiting to answer...but He will answer. We can trust that He will. God returns His calls! The answer may come in a form we are not looking for. God can speak through prayer, the word, other believers, and circumstances. Often people pray for an audible voice from on high. In most cases, God often uses other ways to confirm His answer that we may get from our own inner promptings. Don’t depend totally on a direction or an answer that just feels right. Call on Him, and He will answer you!
III. WHEN WE CALL TO GOD, WE CAN FIND WISDOM. We can receive answers to questions we haven’t even thought to ask. Great things, mighty things are available to us. It’s like being in possession of treasured and valuable information. He's the right Counselor. Go ahead. Make that call.

1 comment:

Ellie May said...

I am the worst decision maker in the world. (This may be the under statement of the century.) I can look back on my life and see all the places where I gave into impulsive, impatient, life altering, horrible decisions. I can also look and see where I had given no thought to what God would have me decide to do. Then, I can see where I did ask for help and when it came it was in a much different form than I had hoped. It's times like these, that I just have to remember that when God answers, He has a purpose. Even if I can't see how His answer is the best, I have to trust that God knows best. He will be glorified by His answers and my life will be blessed and bettered by them.