Friday, October 21, 2011

Peace Talk

I will hear what God the LORD will speak, for He will speak peace to His people and to His saints; but let them not turn back to folly. (Psalm 85:8)

For many years, people have gathered regularly in a building at a place called Panmunjom. It is located exactly between the two Koreas. For more than half a century, participants representing the two warring factions have met together, presumably to talk peace. But after all this time, North and South Korea are still technically at war. Real peace only comes after someone has been defeated. Real peace follows real surrender.
Being an enemy of God can be subtle and deceptive. We can be hard working, law-abiding citizens and still be an enemy of God. An enemy of God is someone who has never surrendered to Him. The casualties that result from being an enemy of God can be catastrophic. When we never surrender our lives to him we never find peace.
But even realizing that God’s power is ultimate, we can take heart in knowing He is also merciful.
I. ONLY GOD CAN SPEAK PEACE. Peace is the absence of conflict, the cessation of hostilities. Peace comes after war. God declared war on Satan, not the other way around. In the midst of this conflict, the war has been won. The spiritual war today is real. Resistance is found in pockets of rebellion, preparing for one last stand. God declared peace at the cross. The decisive battle was fought and victory is in sight. God speaks peace through the Prince of Peace. Peace is secured in His death.
II. ONLY GOD’S PEOPLE CAN KNOW REAL PEACE. Only God’s people can hear Him. Unless enabled by the Spirit of God, we cannot understand the word of God. We must be empowered to believe peace is a reality even in the midst of the warfare. Unless I have surrendered my life to God, I am still at war with Him. My life will bear out a testimony of conflict and strife common to the experience of war…hardness of heart, fear, insecurity, and chaos. Until I surrender, I will be a spiritual refugee. Once I surrender, totally and unconditionally, I can be granted amnesty. I will be allowed to live for once in my life. My allegiance will now be on the side of my Merciful Captor. When I am one of God’s people, I can know true peace. When I obey His word, live by His commands, I can enjoy a peaceful life.
III. ONLY FOOLS DESIRE FOLLY OVER PEACE. Once we know the wisdom of living in peace, we would be a fool to return to any other way of living. The life of the fool is marked by folly. A child of God is called out of the folly of foolishness to freedom of godliness. Give up your life today and receive God’s life. Seeking true peace comes through an act of total and unconditional surrender.

No comments: